Saturday 4 August 2012

Best Ever Caramel Banana Cake Recipe

Due to popular demand I have decided to post this for you on a Saturday so that those keen to try it can whip it up tomorrow to enjoy!

We are bananas about bananas in our household.

When I ask my husband each weekend what he would like me to bake for his lunches, the answer is always a banana product of some description - usually banana cake, sometimes banana bread and if we are feeling particularly adventurous banana cupcakes. As a result I have tried ever so many banana recipes, so when I say that this recipe is THE BEST, I feel that I am qualified to say so!

You'll Need:

Cake Mix
  • 125g Butter
  • 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Cup Mashed Banana (I used 3 x large)
  • 1 1/2 Cups of Self Raising Flour
  • 1 Tsp Bicarb of Soda
  • 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
  • 1 Tbs Milk
Caramel Frosting
  • 60g Butter
  • 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 2 Tbs Sour Cream
  • 1 1/2 Cups Icing Sugar
The bananas have been frozen - hence why so brown - don't be alarmed!!
Method:

For the Cake
  1. Grease your pan (loaf or round both work well) and pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees
  2. Cream butter and sugar together with electric beaters (I use my Kitchen Aid) until light and fluffy
  3. Add your eggs in to the mix (one at a time) and beat until well combined
  4. Fold in mashed bananas
  5. Fold in half of the sifted dry ingredients (flour and bicarb soda) with half the sour cream and milk, mix until combined
  6. Fold in remaining dry ingredients and sour cream and milk, mix until smooth
  7. Pour in to tin (this is the point that you lick the beaters and fight your kids/husband/dog for the bowl!)
  8. Bake for approx 50-60 minutes (depending on your cake tin)
  9. When cool ice with the delicious icing below.....
Nice and Smooth and Ready to Bake!
 For the Caramel Frosting
  1. Melt butter and sugar in saucepan, stir constantly without boiling over low heat for approx 2 minutes
  2. Add sour cream and bring to the boil
  3. Remove from heat and add in sifted icing sugar, stir until smooth
  4. Leave icing mixture in bowl, it will thicken and will be ready to use
  5. Whatever you do - DO NOT taste the icing, you will end up eating the entire bowl and have nothing to ice your cake with - you have been warned!! 
Stir, stir, stir but DO NOT taste - you have been warned!!
Hints/Tips/Advice:
  • If you are watching your weight, consider using low fat sour cream and milk - still works perfectly!
  • You don't need to ice this cake, it is delicious on its own if you want to cut down on the sugar in your diet/household
  • I freeze any brown bananas and when I want to bake, I defrost them overnight. They are so easy to bake with this way and don't require any mashing
Voila - the finished product - Utterly Delicious!!
I truly hope that you love this recipe as much as we did today. I must try and convert it to a thermomix recipe, if anyone is interested I will give it a whirl and let you know.

Enjoy!

13 comments

  1. I spotted this on your Facebook page and HAD to come over for the recipe. It looks OH SO good! Thanks for sharing. Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by Michelle. I hope that you enjoy the cake too if you have a chance to bake x

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing and love your container labels xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing. I'm visiting you from Delightful Order's Thursday party. Hope you have a wonderful week. ~Nici ~posedperfection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nici,

    Thank you so much for visiting me, I'll pop by your blog and be sure to do the same.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to say that you are right, this cake is absolutely beautiful and despite your warning about sampling the icing, I couldn't help it! It is so delicious and I know my family will be asking me to make it again soon. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I just stumbled on your blog a couple of days ago and love it! Will definitely be coming back to visit often. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tui,

      Thank you so much for the lovely comments and for visiting my blog. I am so pleased that you and your family loved the cake as much as we do - I have had so much great feedback on this cake.

      Really look forward to hearing from you again,

      Allison

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to try this recipe.

    And I love your blog and daily FB posts, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely note, I truly hope that you enjoy it as much as we do in our home x

      Delete
  7. Hi, I am looking forward to making this for my partners birthday tomorrow. What size round tin do you suggest?
    Would also love it as a thermomix recipe. Have really enjoyed finding your blog. Thanks, Caz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caz,

      So sorry for not receiving your message sooner. Hope you and your partner enjoyed the cake!

      I definitely will work on converting this to a Thermomix recipe, stay tuned :-)

      Kind regards,

      Allison

      Delete
  8. Looks amazing Allison! Have just shared it on my Facebook page x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness ... this is insane! My eyes are rolling back in my head.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ receiving Comments from my Readers!

© Utterly Organised. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.