Sunday 15 July 2012

A do it yourself Ikea Shoe Closet for Next to Nix?! Yes please!!

When the universe was creating my ‘genes’ I think that they forgot to include the ‘restraint when buying shoes’ gene in my DNA. I definitely have a real weakness when it comes to beautiful shoes of all shapes and sizes. I estimate that I have in my collection (after a very big recent cull) approx 130 (yes truly!) pairs.

I think it all started for me when I spent a year living and working in London. Everything seemed so expensive except, you guessed it, shoes!! So while I used to dream about spending my money on a Kate Middleton worthy wardrobe, the reality was that all I could afford were shoes. When it came time for me to return home to my roots in Australia, I found myself shipping one extremely large tea carton jam packed full of shoes.

Like most females, I have always longed for one of those giant and uber organised shoe rooms like that owned by pop diva Mariah Carey.

Mariah Carey's Closet - big sigh!
Oh isn’t it fabulous?! Maybe one day!! However our house (and budget) just doesn’t accommodate this and so I came up with my own smaller scale and low cost solution using my favourite Swedish Store – Ikea of course!


You would be forgiven for thinking that from the outside it is just another $89 Ikea Aneboda wardrobe…. But inside….
Scubb Storage hangers house 50 pairs of shoes
It is my very own shoe and accessory heaven! As you can see the Ikea Aneboda wardrobe has been filled with the Ikea Scubb Storage hangers ($7.99 each) to house my shoes (I must add some of them!). At the top of the rail I have attached some hooks and wire that I use to hang my dangly earrings - yes another obsession of mine.

Wire to hang all of my favourite chandellier earrings
The top shelf of the wardrobe has been great to store clutch bags and scarves. At the side of the wardrobe I have attached more wire and have some of my necklaces hanging off the side.


Sure while it will never quite compete with Mariah Carey’s shoe closet, it has been an affordable and fabulous storage addition to my home. I have had this at my place for over 5 years now and still each day I open those doors, I am delighted to be greeted by all of my lovely organised shoes smiling back at me! For those curious folks, the rest of my shoes (my everyday flats, flip flops and runners) are housed at the bottom of my main wardrobe.

How do you like to organise your shoes? Can a girl ever have too many?!

2 comments

  1. A wardrobe just for accessories, a girl can dream...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wouldn't that be great!!! I might have to work on that one... thanks so much for dropping by.

      Delete

I ♥ receiving Comments from my Readers!

© Utterly Organised. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.