Friday 20 July 2012

Back to School Baking: Oat and Chocolate Chunk Cookies


Well it is back to school this week for us here in Victoria, Australia. I am sure that if you are like most Mum’s (or Dad’s) one week in and you are probably struggling for ideas to fill the lunch box. Well don’t despair here is a quick and delicious cookie recipe that should fit the bill for the lunchbox next week. It will only take you 25 minutes to create and taste these delicious cookie delights!

I always feel a little less guilty about eating these versus traditional choc chip cookies as they have the goodness of the oats – plus a little indulgence every now and then doesn’t do us any harm - does it?!

The recipe calls for the inclusion of chopped up milk chocolate, however you can of course use chocolate chips if these are easier – and try with white or dark chips for a variation. I actually noticed the other day at my local Woolies that Nestle have a ‘caramel’ choc chip too!!

This cookie base also works very well with sultanas, cranberries, nuts, apricots or coconut if you would like to pack in a lil’ more goodness.

You’ll Need
  • 150g unsalted butter (at room temperatue)
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  •  ½ cup caster sugar
  • 1 egg (at room temperature)
  • ½ Tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 Cup plain flour
  • ½ Tsp baking powder
  • 2 Cups of Rolled Oats
  • 150g milk chocolate roughly chopped
Makes:

20-24 cookies – depending on how large you make them!

Method:
1. Line your baking trays (I needed 3) with baking paper and preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Use electric beater to cream the butter and sugars until pale (I use my kitchen aid)
3. Add vanilla and egg and beat until well combined
4. Add sifted flour, baking powder, oats and chocolate (plus anything else you decide to throw in) to the mix and fold until well combined
5. Roll tablespoons of mix in to balls and place on tray, flatten slightly with a fork and place in the oven

6. Bake for approx 12-15 minutes (make sure you set the timer, it goes very quickly!!)
7. Enjoy and try not to eat them all fresh out of the oven, they are delicious when warm!
WARNING: You won't be able to stop at one!
Hope you and your family enjoy the recipe!

2 comments

  1. Now I have tupperware envy!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you!! My blog is getting a big makeover at present, but as soon as it is done I will be sure to post some pictures of my pantry.
      PS: If you like the labels please contact me as I am providing these through my little business x

      Delete

I ♥ receiving Comments from my Readers!

© Utterly Organised. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.