Thursday 22 October 2015

Spring Cleaning and Organising your Laundry - my Top Tips and Ideas!

{Post brought to you in conjunction with Vanish}
 
By demand, today I am offering up my tips for Organising and giving your Laundry a bit of a Spring Clean and boy does this room get a workout from me at the moment!! How is it that babies can generate SO much washing? I am just thankful for having a bit of sunny Melbourne weather as of late to get it all dry each day.
 
If you have been reading my blog for a wee while, you may recall that I did a bit of a Laundry feature some time ago (wow I cannot believe that was 3 years ago!). You can read those posts here and here. But it was definitely time in my house for a bit of a laundry refresh and overhaul.
 
 

Cut Clutter from Laundry Cupboards

 
Much to my husbands disbelief, towels and sheets don't last forever. Use your Spring Clean as a good opportunity to go through your towels, sheets and linen and discard any items that are looking a bit worse for wear or that you haven't used in over 12 months. I had a stack of towels in colour schemes that were a bit dated so out they went!
 
If you completed my Bathroom Spring Clean earlier on this week (you can read that post here), then I reckon you (and I) deserve to treat ourselves with some bright new towels for Spring don't you agree?!
 
 
I have been lusting after these towels from Adairs - gorgeous aren't they?!
 
Consider donating any old linen and towels to a local animal shelter, they are always in desperate need of these items.
 
 

Organise your Laundry Cupboards

 
For those new to the blog, this is a little preview as to what my Laundry looked like pre Spring Clean.
 

 
The basket organising solution that I put in place several years ago is still working brilliantly today and the baskets from Home Storage and Living (sadly no longer available) are still going strong! I was getting a little bit tired of the labels that I created, so I decided to give these a bit of a revamp once I completed my cull and tidy.
 


 
The little labels have been created by Kate at Pretty Paper Labels and I have stuck these on mini peg blackboards that I purchased from Ebay. I have to say that I love the new clean look of the laundry space.
 
Of course if you liked the old labels, you can still download these from my blog as a free printable here.
 
 
 
 
I know I sound like a broken record, but baskets really are the BEST thing for sorting out your Laundry/Linen cupboard.
 
I also have a basket solution to sorting out my washing (which is never ending at the minute). This has been in place for a few years too (you can read more on that here) and I absolutely love the way it keeps my washing a bit more under control as the number of family members has grown!
 

 
The drawer unit was also updated with labels from Pretty Paper Label.
 
 

Under Sink Organising

 
The sink area under washing machine trough is traditionally a bit of a dumping ground. If you have enough room, consider popping a basket in here to contain the washing products and powders.
 
 
 
 
I absolutely think a laundry tin is a great investment to keep powder fresh, neat and looking pretty too!
 
 

Clean Washing Machine and Dryer

Did you know that you should be regularly running your machine at 90 degrees to kill bacteria? Yup I neglect to do this too! Why not incorporate this in to your Spring Clean along with popping in a satchet cleaner designed to clean, sanitise and descale your machine.
 
 
I pick this up at my local Supermarket in the cleaning aisle and try to do it a few times a year. Once you have finished this cycle, clean the drawer seals and the detergent drawers.
 
 

Refresh your Whites!

 
As you can see from my pictures, we have quite a bit of white linen in our cupboards. These can tend to get a bit discoloured and flat particularly over the Winter months. Using Vanish Gold for Whites is brilliant for soaking whites that need a bit of refresh as this product can lift up to 3 shades of white. If needed, pre-treat with the Vanish Preen Oxi Action Spray before soaking to lift any stubborn stains such as dirt, grass, coffee etc.
 
 

My Essential (Budget) Buys for the Laundry

KMART Metal Soak Bucket
Price: $7.00


KMART Laundry Powder Tin
Price: $9.00

Sadly the baskets that I have are no long being sold. Here are a few different alternatives for you....
 


Price: $21.95 (Medium Size)
 
 
IKEA Gles Box
 
Price: $2.99
 
 
 
Price: $20.89 (on sale at the time of publish)
 
 
Price: $8.00 (also in teal and white)


I hope that you have picked up some tips for Organising your own Laundry space and enjoyed a peek at mine. I would love you to share any tips, ideas or pictures with me!
 
If you are feeling all inspired to Spring Clean, please stay tuned to the bog as thanks to Dettol I have some Spring Cleaning packs to give away on the blog tomorrow....

 

9 comments

  1. Looks great. So organised. I'm jealous. We have a shared laundry but these tips would work for anywhere! Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely comments and for stopping by Hannah x

      Delete
  2. Great ideas love the storage crates they are so versatile and the baskets look great in the laundry given me a lot of ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading Deborah. I am so pleased that you have picked up a few ideas. Absolutely LOVE my baskets as you can tell :-)

      Delete
  3. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing. cleaning services of colorado

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article. full review

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work Mop

    ReplyDelete
  6. I referred to as them in a bit of a hurry seeking a very same-working day hire and they could supply a container to Arcadia in just a couple of hours. rent dumpster dayton the bin the following day. The procedure was sleek, quickly, and headache-cost-free. They acquire funds and check also, although compensated by bank card over the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog Info is fabulous; I must wanna see best more from your writers.
    rent dumpster el paso

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ receiving Comments from my Readers!

© Utterly Organised. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.