Tuesday 18 September 2012

Mr B's Peter Rabbit Themed Christening - Part 2

I am so grateful for the lovely comments that I received on Part 1 of the Christening. I hope that you enjoy this second part which takes a little peek in to the nosh that I whipped up for the day...

Our Christening service was due to finish mid morning, so it would have been a tad early to plan a luncheon which was the original idea. So the idea of a 'brunch' celebration was born. I did find it a little difficult to come up with suitable brunch options that I was able to make ahead and just serve up when I walked through the door with visitors in tow. There is nothing worse than slaving away in the kitchen whilst your guests are sipping champagne is there?!

Being the sweet tooth that I am, quite a few of the menu items selected were sweet in nature. Here is what I came up with...

Mini Pancake stacks with strawberries and cream
These were a little fiddly to do, but looked so cute! I found this little idea on Pinterest (of course). To create perfect little pancake stacks, I simply cut shapes out of pikelets using a small round cutter. If you wanted to take a shortcut you could simply cut from ready-made pikelets from the Supermarket. I then popped a bit of whipped cream and a small slice of strawberry in between each layer and used a tooth pick to hold it all together.


Fruit Custard Tarts
I must confess that I cheated a teeny bit with these and used ready made frozen pastry shells. I simply cooked the shells and then filled with a vanilla custard that I had made in my trusty Thermomix. I then topped with various fruits including kiwi fruit, strawberry, raspberries and blueberries. I used frozen raspberries (the fresh are just still way too expensive at the moment) and these were a bit of a nightmare as the juice spilled in to the custard and ruined the look a little...


Mini croissants filled with various cheeses and ham
I really, really, really wanted to attempt to make the croissants myself - I even purchased a cookbook with a recipe to make them - honestly!! But in the end I ran out of time, so I purchased the croissants from my local Supermarket and filled these with a variety of cheeses and some with shaved ham. I lightly toasted these before serving so that they warm (with gooey cheese mmm) when I served them up.


Individual fruit salad pots with vanilla bean yoghurt
My lovely mother in law helped me out by making up a big batch of fruit salad for me. I served this up in plastic wine goblets that I had decorated with the very same ribbon used on the candy jars. The wooden cutlery was stamped with 'brodie'. The fruit salad was topped with a large dollop of gourmet vanilla bean yoghurt - I could seriously eat this stuff by the truckload!!


Raspberry and White Chocolate Muffins
I recently stumbled across the most fabulous recipe for these muffins and have been making it ever since to rave reviews. If you are a bit of a fan of this muffin flavour, do let me know and I'll feature the recipe on the blog. These muffins unfortunately are best on the day of making, so I was up at some crazy hour baking them up. I used baking cups in blue and green spot to match the theme. I normally measure out the quantity to ensure that I get even shaped muffins, however I just didn't have the chance to do this in the morning rush.

Mini quiches
My lovely Mummy made these for me!! It just wouldn't be a brunch with any form of eggs (and bacon) for that matter, so mini quiches were a no brainer brunch item.

Macaroons
If there is one thing that I would love to learn to make - it is the macaroon. If anyone has any tips, tricks or recipes please let me know as I am scared stiff of even trying these out. These were purchased through a french patisserie local to me and I purchased in colours to match my theme - of course!!


Assorted jars of lollies/candy
I don't think any party of mine would be complete without a little bit of candy!! The jars were filled with gourmet jelly beans and marshmallows in complementary colours. I also made some personalised wrappers and used them to cover Aldi branded chocolate bars.


The Cake
And last but not least - the cake!! For those of you who have been following me on Facebook, you will know that the cake was a labour of love. I have never ever attempted to use fondant and in hindsight I probably should have done a test run. But it was a great learning experience for me to say the least!! I used ready to roll fondant in baby blue and another one in vanilla to make the polka-dots. The actual cake was a white chocolate mud cake. I am leaving it to the pros when Mr B's first birthday does roll around in a few short months.

The Beverages
I set up a little drink station that had fruit infused water and filled mini glass bottles with apple and orange juices. There was another station (not pictured) that had some grown up beverages too - no celebration is complete without some bubbles after all!


If you are planning a little brunch celebration for an occassion such as Father Day, Christmas or Easter, there might just be a few little ideas here that you can include on your menu. If you need any further information on any of the above, please contact me. Alternatively if you have a fabulous an easy brunch idea that you'd love to share, please let me know.

2 comments

  1. Fantastic effort Allison! You did such a great job catering AND styling your event. I'm not game to try fondant either and my cake decorating efforts so far have been a bit average so for Master almost-one's upcoming birthday I've bought the lion pack from Cakes 2 the Rescue ... I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely Mel. Oh I will have to look up Cakes 2 the Rescue, I have not heard of them. I cannot wait to see your party, I know it will be fabulous xx

      Delete

I ♥ receiving Comments from my Readers!

© Utterly Organised. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.