Thursday 27 September 2012

Cooking the Classics: Easy, Quick & Delicious Macaroni and Cheese Recipe


I am not afraid to admit that we are HUGE fans of Macaroni Cheese in this household. What I am a little embarrassed to admit is how addicted I used to be to packaged Mac and Cheese... I know that it is definitely not a winner in the nutritional department, so I am so glad that I stumbled across this amazing recipe from Nigella Lawson to keep me on the straight and narrow. This recipe is seriously even quicker and easier to make than the packet stuff, the taste is oh so delicious and not an orange strand of pasta in sight!

This little recipe 'cheats' a little when making the white sauce. Instead of making a traditional white sauce, you make your own easy version with cheese, egg and evaporated milk. Because it is one of Nigella's recipes- so you know that it is going to be utterly delicious and a tenny bit naughty.... enjoy!

You'll need:
  • 250g Packet of Macaroni Pasta
  • 250g of Mature Cheddar Cheese (I actually used Tasty and it was delicious!)
  • 250ml of Evaporated Milk (can also use the Low Fat version if you like)
  • 2 Medium Sized Eggs
  • 1 Sprinkle of Nutmeg
  • 1 Pinch of Salt and Pepper
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees
  2. Cook your pasta according to the directions on the packet, drain and then return to the hot pan
  3. While your pasta is cooking away, prepare your cheese sauce by placing cheese, evaporated milk, eggs and nutmeg in to your food processor (or Thermomix) and blitz to mix. Alternatively grate your cheese and mix everything together by hand
  4. Combine the cheese sauce and the macaroni together in the hot pan. Stir well and season with the salt and pepper (optional)
  5. Pour in to an oven proof dish and bake for approx 10-15 minutes until bubbling and blistering on top
Why not serve it up with a side salad for a quick and easy dinner or lunch, you'll keep coming back to this one!! It really is that simple!! If you love you Mac and Cheese as much as us, I do hope that you give this a try in your home. Love to hear your review and thoughts on the recipe.

If you are a fellow fan of Nigella then I'll let you in on a little secret that you will love. Tomorrow I am opening a giveaway to win not one, but two copies of her fabulous 'How To Be A Domestic Goddess' cookbook... see you all tomorrow!

Post a Comment

I ♥ receiving Comments from my Readers!

© Utterly Organised. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.